Pages

Monday 3 August 2015

Jian Chen



Happy August! (I know we all say it but where is this year going!?)   Hope everyone is well.

Up first this month is Jian Chen originally from China now lives in Wales UK.



I found Jian's work on Etsy in her shop (Jian Chen's Fine Art)  when I did the Orca/Dolphin article in July - I featured her beautiful watercolour of Dolphins surfing (above).  I just love this picture it looks like they're having so much fun in their natural habitat.

I love Jian's style of painting.  It's so free and the results are beautiful.  You can find framed and unframed work and prints and some originals in her shop.  

There are a lot of animals featured some of which I will share here but she also has non animal subjects too, like this one called 'Evolving'




and this one called 'Not a Word' simple love the teeth and the highlighting on the lips.



I love all of Jian's work but for me it's the animals and how she captures them in their glory but with so much colour.  How can any of her work not make you happy.  She is clearly a very talented lady.

I am the same with Art as with music, I like to listen to happy upbeat music, I can appreciate all forms of Art or Music but give me a happy song or a colourful piece of art and it's rare I'm not hooked (exception photography, I love Black and White photography).  I know that outlook isn't for everyone ( I think I must drive some people nuts ) but it works for me.

These flamingos look so besotted with each other





and this Emu looks totally enthralled with the butterflies





The expression on this Rhino's face while he's looking at the bird is just perfect!




In this piece Jian has used watercolour and chinese ink 


One last picture to see before we hear from Jian herself about her Art.... has to be a marine creature and this Shark is stunning.  You can see it's beauty and grace but you can see what we expect to see from a Shark in that menacing side.





So let's meet Jian.. I ask the same questions nearly everytime I speak/email someone, the reason for that is so that if you're looking to be inspired, if you're going through a block phase, you can see how others get out of that.  That might just be me personally but I find that sometimes when I'm being creative and it's not quite working I can find that an isolated feeling so to know that ... it's ok, everyone has these times and this is how they plough on. can be helpful.


Hello Jian.....Please tell us a bit about yourself.

My name is Jian Chen, aka Jenny Chen. I’m originally from China, but now live in the UK

Tell us about your art now and what you do

I paint animals, people, flowers and landscapes, trying to communicate the life force within them

What is your earliest creative memory?  

As a young child in kindergarten, I was fascinated by the night sky – gazing at the stars and the moon. I often imagined some mysterious creatures – like fairies, living there and I would then try to draw these fairies from my imagination.

What is your favourite medium?

Although originally trained in oil painting, at the moment I find I’m drawn to watercolour, because of its flow and the unexpected nature of water.

Do you ever suffer from a creative block and if so how do you get yourself out of it?

I have been fortunate to feel constantly inspired to create, so (as yet) have never experienced any creative block. My creative inspiration comes from banishing the negativities around me and taking my mind away from everyday reality

Who inspires you?

There’s no one special who directly inspires my work, inspiration comes from the positive aspects I try to surround myself with, so I can be inspired by almost anything - colour in nature, chatting with people, seeing an interesting photograph, watching a video …

What is your favourite piece of work that you've created?

I like so many of my artworks: Lion, Wolf, Elephant, Activation, Any Problems, Evolving, Universe in my Heart, Music in my Eyes, Fifth Element … If I had to pick just one it would be ‘Activation’ because it expressed – and continues to communicate, everything in my head at that time.

Activation - 

Even just having had minimal contact with you Jian, I can see from what you've said why this artwork would be special to you, from the galaxy to the spiritual elements in the picture.



 What are your creative ambitions for the future?

I want to open a Fine Art Boutique, where I can exhibit and sell both my original paintings and prints … along with other products that use my painting’s imagery.

How do you silence your inner critic?

I don’t criticise myself; I just let things happen in the continuity of time 


What do you do when you're not being creative?

I like listening to spiritual teaching, getting away from the city by walking in nature and watching amusing light videos


Tell us where we can find your work and your social media sites.

People can find my work on 

Jian Chen’s Watercolour Painting Facebook fan page  
I also have an online Etsy shop: JianChensFINEART
I can be found on Twitter: jianchen1111
I’ve recently started using Instagram - jianchensfineart


 What would be your 3 desert island craft/art items

      A constant supply of high quality watercolour paint, brushes and paper

Finally I'd like to share one of Jian's other favourites... her lion.  Isn't he just beautiful, there is something emotional about this piece of artwork.

That's one of my favourite things about Jian's work, the expression and soul within each subject.






Jian, it's been a pleasure sharing your work.. please do check out Jian's Etsy shop and Facebook page for more stunning examples of her work.

Good luck for the future Jian, your Fine Art Boutique sounds like a great idea, you've so much to share. 






No comments:

Post a Comment